Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Transcontiental Chocolate Biscotti for Chocolate lovers

Don't forget to bake your Stollen!




*Awoooga** Awoooga* *whooot whhhhooot* *Warning* *Warning* *

Do you love chocolate? Do you love chocolate as much as me?
Well then this is the post for you, settle down and then prepare to get baking ASAP afterwards!

Well Farmgirl and I have been at it again, baking things across continents, making each other laugh over silly (fun) emails, and generally having a great time. The only thing we miss is actually being able to do it together. *sigh* That is why, I managed to con her biscotti recipe from her before you :P neerrrr and bake it now so that we could *bake togther tm* again!

If you have come across from FG's site then I am sure you know this already, and have been laughing at me as I know she is going to make me look like a goose. "NO SUGAR!". Um, yeah, I kinda got myself into alittle bit of trouble from out baking queen/mistress/school teacher... OOPS! REMEMBER to ensure you have ALL the ingrediants before you start to melt 1 1/2 blocks of lindt 85% cocoa and 125 gms of butter.... hehehe. But then, necessity is the mother of invention and I no, we might have even managed to improve the biscotti! (yeah right.... I am watching out for FG's ear flick OUCH!) LOL

But seriously, my lovely Auntie is not feeling well, so I figure that a chocolate overload might just help to cheer her up!

And I figure this could be a good time to share my patented Hot Cocoa recipe, this is not like alot of other hot chocolate recipes, it is very simple and only requires 1 KEY ingrediant. The BEST Dutch Process cocoa that you can get you chocolatey little mits on. The Cocoa powder I use it Van Houten, which has a lovely smell and tastes fabulous. I have tried using Droste but that was truely horrible. No, really it was.

Here in Australia, hot chocolate cravings can hit at any time. But, you don't always want a decadent, fattening drink. Something smooth and chocolatey is often just what is required to quickly kill those chocolate cravings, esp when the temperatures are in the 30's. In Australia hot chocolate drinks are generally very artificial and full of artificial sweetners, definatly not my cup of hot cocoa. This recipe makes an easy, substitute that is much better for you!

Clare's Patented Hot Cocoa
2 tsps Van Houten Dutch Process Cocoa (use other dutch process at your risk! AND NEVER DROSTE!)
1 tsp sugar ( or more to taste)
1 pinch of cinnamon
Boiling Water
Milk to taste or some whipped cream ;)

Put cocoa, sugar and cinnamon into a cup, mix and continue to mix whilst you add the boiling water, the cocoa should dissolve perfectly. Add a splash of milk. DONE!


NOTE: If you live in Sydney the White Lotus Asian grocery store in Kingsford has Van Houten Cocoa powder for $2.95 a box, Which is CHEAP!

Chocolate Lover's Biscotti
Melt together:
125 gms of Dark Chocolate - I used 85% lindt
125gms of butter
Beat until lightened:
2 eggs
1 cup of dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
Add:
1 teaspoon vanilla
chocolate mixture
Then add:
2 to 2-1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - I used Van houten, but please use the best you can
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Divide dough into two logs: 3-1/2"x9"
Brush with beaten egg white
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool partly or all the way if you have time. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn slices over and bake 20 minutes.
Very easy to cut because no nuts or fruit in the way. But you could add them if you like. Crunchy but not break your teeth crunchy. Not authentic Italian biscotti. Great for dunking in coffee or Clare's patented Hot Cocoa!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it! LOLOLOL! And now must catch that sleep train before I catch myself making a cup of your patented cocoa. Thanks for all the fun Clare! : )
P.S. Gorgeous pics. Your biscotti looks absolutely divine.  

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

Oh dang girls...that really does sound like my kinda chocolate overload!  

Posted by KT

Anonymous said...

ummm... hot chocolate. As it happens, I went to a Mexican market deep in the heart of San Jose today and came out with a box of Mexican chocolate tablets. Definately NOT to be confused with eating chocolate! I break these up in a small pot, add milk and heat over medium. As it heats, I use a whisk to stif constantly. When the chocolate is all melted and your are approaching the end, I briskly roll the whisk between my hands to produce a lovely thick "beard" of froth. Many consider this the best part and is the mark of a good prep. This stuff is outstanding with arrowroot cookies! Oh yea, and deep fat fried dough (churros). http://www.chocolatera.com/ingles/imoctezuma.html 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

Oh My God this post is yummy!!! I am going to give these a go. Maybe I'll make them for Christmas morning. Coffee, Biscotti, watching the kids open presents, sounds like heaven!!

I've missed you!! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you gals all like this post so much :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare, do you know anything about putting chili powder in chocolate? I know that's one way to drink it, but I'm not sure what kind of chili powder to add, or how much. I'd like to try hot chocolate with a kick, and that sounds good. 

Posted by The Countess

Anonymous said...

OMG are you kidding me with that, I had to close the browsert before my pregnant wife saw that... 

Posted by Charlotte Restaurant Critic

Post a Comment