Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mums corned beef



I love the old traditional meals, I can remember my grandma making corned beef and thinking that anything that took that long must be good, and it was! Pictured here is Clare's mum's corned beef, slow boiled with onions, carrots, pepper and spices (mum's secret). Looking good on her country-style stained hardwood table.

This particular meal was especially slow boiled because we had to go to Casualty (ER) to get clare's badly bitten arm seen to. 5 hours later and the beef was falling to peices, while still being flavoursome and juicy. This was Clare's last meal before going into hospital again, and for a whole week that time. Thankfully she's been back home for a week now, but too tired to post this story so I pitched in for her.

The last time I had corned beef (years ago), was at my best friend Ben's Grandmother Maggy's house. She lives on a small farm in Bega, a country town famous for it's old (and still operational) cheese factory, in NSW, Australia.

Her old farm house is awesome, she has a rose garden out the front, a chicken coup out the back, and some cool old cars that will never run again. The power cables were put on the OUTSIDE of most of the interior walls, because the house was built prior to electricity. And every Sunday they have a roast for the extendend family, around the old dining room table with an open fire and a black and white tv, yes black and white in the 21st century.

My favourite was the cakes before the roast, chocolate crackles, honey joys (cornflakes in honey), butterfly cakes (in little patty pans), jam rolls etc... yummmmmmmmmy.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Case,

Thanks for posting this. I haven't had corned beef in ages too. I like to eat it with a little mustard and some cabbage and potatoes on the side.

How's Clare doing? Is she OK? Did she go back to the hospital? Please let her know that we are all thinking of her. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid,

Yeah mustard goes good, we had hot english with ours.

Don't worry she's been back home for a week now, this is just an old meal from back when she was sick.  

Posted by casey eats

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful and that old farmhouse sounds really special. I love the idea of Sunday family dinners around a farmhouse table.  

Posted by amy

Anonymous said...

Great post, Casey. That dinner looks soooooo good. I can't remember the last time I had corned beef. And now I want chocolate crackles for breakfast--whatever they are. : ) 

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Clare is doing better. I love corned beef. I make it in the Crock Pot slow cooker and let it cook all day on low while I am at work. Here the meat is sold with a packet of spices that you mix with a little water and pour over the meat so it couldn't be easier. I eat mine with a sauce made of mayonnaise, sour cream and a LOT of horseradish. Yum. 

Posted by Kalyn

Anonymous said...

Casey,

Thanks for writing this post. I am glad that Clare is doing much better and at home! Hospital food usually falls into the terrible catagory. Bleh

I haven't had a good old fashioned corned beef in years. *sigh* LOL maybe it will get me off my duff to make me some...Hmmm Yeah let me think about that one.  

Posted by milgwimper

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize Clare had been in twice! oh man. Glad she's been home a full week now. That's a good sign. Is she able to start exercising in small amounts yet? I don't know about Clare's situation, but following surgery, folks are encouraged to exercise because a lot of the drowseyness is due to residual drugs at the bottom of ones lungs. Exercise facilitates deep breathing which in turn expells the residual chemicals. Might not be the same situation in this case.

I love your posts Casey and appreciate you taking the time to do it. I hope you understand when I say that I look forward to Clare taking over again. ::sad smile:: 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi, Casey! Thanks for keeping us eatstuff addicts happy.

Are those fingerling potatoes I see? The whole thing makes me want to go out and buy a brisket. ;+) 

Posted by B'gina

Anonymous said...

Casey, that corned beef looks so delicious. I like the bit about the farmhouse memories and we get Bega Cheese here so it sounds very familiar. Hope Clare is well and tell her we are sending her lots of positive thoughts that she will be back to normal as soon as possible. 

Posted by boo_licious

Post a Comment