Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Cook Next Door

Wow I have been tagged again! from zero to two in a short fowl soup (:P)

This meme was invented by Nicky at Delicious Days, so that you the reading public would get a chance to find out some more weird things about me that I might not share otherwise.


What is your first memory of baking/cooking on your own?
The first thing I remember really making myself was lettuce soup. I must have been 4?I got the idea from Peter Russel Clarke, I can distinctly remember not letting my parents help at all. But when I tried it, I can remeber hating it, and my parents eating it..

Who had the most influence on your cooking?
My mother and my Oma. I remember learning to bake bread and eat healthily from my mother. We spent alot of time with my Oma and Opa as kids, I have so many good memories of her food. Porridge with sultanas, Butter cream cake, Sultana cake, potato pancakes, apple pancakes, lentil soup and the list oges on. The other day she was at my Aunties house and she made her bean soup for dinner, the smell took me right back to my child hood.

Do you have an old photo as “evidence” of an early exposure to the culinary world and would you like to share it?

I will have to get back to you as the photos are all at my parents place.

Mageiricophobia - do you suffer from any cooking phobia, a dish that makes your palms sweat?
Nope, I dont think so... I am willing to try anything once. (see post on fox dung coffee for proof!)

What would be your most valued or used kitchen gadgets and/or what was the biggest let down?
My Furi East West knife that Casey bought me last year. It is awesome, if you wonder why your dishes don't turn out well and you are using crappy knives... dont complain to me :P

The Zester he bought me at the same time, it would zest anything!

Name some funny or weird food combinations/dishes you really like - and probably no one else!
Hmm, I dont know. I asked Case and he said nothing. So either we are both freaks cause we both like the same weird stuff, or we are freaks cause we don't like any really weird combinations.

What are the three eatables or dishes you simply don’t want to live without?
Really good cheese (why I could NEVER be Vegan), Wine and sourdough bread. They are simple staples that could keep you satisisfied for life. (Plus plent of fresh veggies... sorry they are definately a necessity too)

Any question you missed in this meme, that you would have loved to answer? Well then, feel free to add one!
The quickies section:

Your favourite ice-cream…
Chocolate! (but only really good chocolate, especially if it has chocolate chunks in it)
You will probably never eat…
Brains... no explanation needed

Your own signature dish…

Roast Lamb and vegtables.... mmm
Added by Sam of Becks & Posh: A common ingredient you just can't bring yourself to stomach...
Leatherwood Honey :P (Or any Honey)

Who to pass the torch on too....
we'll this is hard cause it was so recently that I tagged people, so I dont want anyone to feel like I am picking on them, so it's not like I dont love you guys anymore promise xxx
Since I chose all grls last time, I'd like to pass this on toReid, Alberto and the Pieman so I dont get into trouble for being sexist.
*** UPDATE*** I am going to tag Michele of Oswego tea as well, cause we need to give her a reason to blog since her camera is still being so naughty! and cause she wont be mad at me :)

16 comments:

Michèle said...

Hi Clare,
I'm with you on the brains thing. And I would add tongue to that list. Bad memories of seeing a cow's tongue sitting in our sink when I was a kid. And chocolate ice cream with peanut butter chunks in it used to be my favourite. This has been a good "get to know Clare" week :)

eat stuff said...

Hi Stephanie,
Um no... I think it is something that I have kind of thought was funny ever since :) I think it is a real recipe though, but I just made it all up when we had it.

Hi Michele,
I wanted to add you to the list, but I didnt want you to get mad at me.... at least you know just how crazy I am now :P. I think that icecream would be awesome, but we dont get stuff with peanut butter chunks here.

Sam said...

Ha ha you are so like me!
I made lettuce soup when i was a teenager (probably about the same time you were 4). My friend came round to our house while I was doing it and I gave her a spoonful to try. As she was tasting is she asked what it was. WHen I said lettuce soup she ran across the kitchen and spat it down the sink. I was insulted. I think the recipe was from my mum's Woman's Weekly Magazine - do you get that in Oz?
i am not big into honey either, its got a cloying taste.
And you have the same signature dish as me!
I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life, it tastes rather funny, but it keeps them on the knife...

Ana said...

Hi Clare
Do you have the recipe for that Sultana Cake and Butter cream cake?
I'm drooling just thinking of it. Love sultanas. Actually, love any kind of raisins, except maybe the chocolate covered ones.

eat stuff said...

Hi Sam,
That is an awesome compliment :). It is all my mothers fault that I love Lamb Roast so much :) I want to make some Mint Jelly soon.

We still have the Women's Weekly here in OZ. I think it is a bit of an institution here.

Hi Ana :)
I don't have the recipes... yet. I am going to make a book of all my Oma's recipes so that all of the family can have a copy, because they are half in her head and half in German. The butter cream cake was unbeleviable, at least three layers, cherries, butter cream. It was huge! I need to find a photo of it. The Sultana cake was the everday cake (that is not an insult) My sister would turn it into crumbs, eat the Sultanas and then the cake.

Michèle said...

silly girl! i wouldnt get mad! although without my camera my enthusiasm to post is rather low. Poor me :( But Im happy to read your posts in the meantime! :)

eat stuff said...

Oh Michele!

Well... I am going to tag you anyway.
Please keep posting, your words are great even without photos!

But PLEASE GET A NEW CAMERA! :) We Miss you

Michèle said...

Hi Clare!
I happily accept the tag :)
Ive got my boyfriend working all weekend on my technical difficulties which is a combination of both my camera and my pc--imagine that! such a pain. But it looks like I'll be back up and running by the end of the day. Im very happy about that!

eat stuff said...

Michele Yay! on all fronts!
and Nicky and Oliver have very nicely already added you to my list on delcious days! (Thanks heaps guys xx)

I cant wait to read some more about you and your family!

I have my fingers crossed for your camera to start working, but I know you don't need it with your computer genius boy on the job :)

Sam said...

we should have a Woman's Weekly Recipe Day!!!!!!!!!

(I can get my mum to send me some recipes)

eat stuff said...

Sam
old scool or new scool womens weekly recipes? :) Cause it's a great idea.

Sam said...

i thought the new school was old school - ha ha ha

it always seems so old fashioned.Recipes and all.

when i stay at my mum's house she leaves me a pile by my bed. When I was a teen I only used to read the recipes. These days I read the daft short stories.

i don't know how we could get old ones.
I'll write to my mum and see if she has any

eat stuff said...

hmm
Perhaps my Oma has some or her friends.... We always have the old cookbooks?
Cakes, chinese ... I know my mum has them.. or did :)

Anonymous said...

clare (i love that name - it's my mom's too!) thanks for sharing....i am with you on the knife. that is my most cherished weapon, er i mean, utensil/gadget in the kitchen!

eat stuff said...

Hi Sarah!

I think a knife makes a huge difference to the food you prepare.

I am glad you like my name :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare E s
I never realised that so many blogs would show up if I did a search on something like baking bread. I'm still not sure how well The Cook Next Door falls into that category, but I've enjoyed visiting :0) Adios Amigo.

Post a Comment