Tuesday, June 21, 2005

What to do with leftovers?


Do you ever have those days when you just want a big plate of veggies? Well I definitely do, and sometimes salad just wont cut it (especially when it is cold and you have no rocket left). So what do you do? You roast the mother load of vegetables: Kumera, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Parsnips, Garlic, Celariac(OMG I love this ugly devil), Carrots, Leek... I tossed them in Olive oil and a pounded spice mix (dried chili, bay leaves, pepper, rosemary, salt, lemon rind).

So we ate our fill.. and gee they were good. But what do you do with the rest? I told you this was the mother load, lol. Well you put them in a pot with some water and milk and puree it. You get the best vegetable soup ever, so much more caramely and tasty than if you just boil the vegetables. If you go to the effort of roasting vegetables, even if it is to have with a roast chicken, or leg of lamb.... Please roast extra and make this, you will be so glad you did. (roast tomatoes make the best tomato soup too)

13 comments:

eat stuff said...

Hi Amy!
That's the problem... cold here, hot there.. hot here, cold there... sigh

I am glad you agree though :)

Ana said...

I love roast vegetables. I usually make them with olive oil, lots of garlic, rosemary, etc. But never thought of making soup with the leftovers. Good idea!

eat stuff said...

Hi Ana,
it is fantastic! i hope you try it.. let me know if you do.

eat stuff said...

Hi Ag!
Oooh that sounds good... they are good tossed through pasta too... so many uses so many roast veggies... *sigh*

Farmgirl Susan said...

This is such a neat coincidence! This is my first visit to your site (linked through from Bakingsheet), and not only have you just written about scrumptious leftovers, but pizza dough as well. My latest post is about leftover pizza. So hello, fellow leftover lover. Gorgeous photo of the soup. Can't wait to try eggs on pizza dough toast--they look so yum. Love the cat pics, too. (I have 7 cats.)

eat stuff said...

Hi Farmgirl!

lol, what a happy conicidence :)

I agree with you.. lovingly made leftovers are awesome ;)

oooh will you post pics of ur kitties on the weekend?

eat stuff said...

Hi Stephanie :)

thanks! mmmm Veggies

How about a special on Celeriac?

Sam said...

hey clare
I wont be able to sort out the WW for a while as I am on 7 days weeks at work for the next 2 weeks and I only speak to my mum who is on the other side of the world about once every 10 days.
I am not in any rush as there is too much going on in Food Blog world right now anyway and I have too much on my own little plate.

btw everyone in this instance WW stands for Womans Weekly NOT Weight Watchers.

eat stuff said...

Hi Sam

of course ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice site! My first visit, but not my last...

eat stuff said...

Hi Ann,

thanks so much! I like your blog too :)

Nic said...

Great idea for soup, Clare. Somehow using leftovers makes it seem so much less involved, even though you had to roast the veggies in the first place! Odd, that...

eat stuff said...

yep very true Nic...

especailly when you roast even more veggies just so you will have lots of the yummy soup ;)

Post a Comment