Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Indonesian, Yeah!



I have to say that I llluuurrvveee Indonesian food, it is so very very very addictive.

I don't know what everyone in the rest of the world hears, but there has been alittle hassel between Australia and Indonesia at the moment. I think it is all phooey. I was actually inspired to make Indonesian tonight when I saw the lovely photos that Reid took in SF. It is the end of the shopping cycle, so I didnt have all of the ingrediants I wanted, but I did have some lovely Pork Chops. So I thought I would give them an Indonesian inspired marinade, with some modified gado gado(steamed vegtable salad with peanut sauce) and Nasi Kunning (yellow rice). I was missing a few things like Sambal Terasi (dont get me started I might cry), fried shallots, eggs, potates etc... but what can you do? I wouldnt trade this for anything. Because I didnt have everything I needed I did cheat alittle bit. I used a gado gado sauce mix and a packet for the Nasi Kunning. But unlike other packet mixes, most good indonesian mixes have no artificial flavourings or preservatives. But I didnt cheat on the marinade for the pork, and I am rather pleased with myself how it worked out. The same marinade would also work well on chicken, or beef. So you have this lovely mean and you want to know what is the perfect drink to accompany it ? Well, it's Jasmine tea of course :). If you are unable to get packets or would like to make the Nasi Kunning or Gado Gado from scratch let me know ;)

Indonesian style Pork Chop (enough for 4 large Pork Chops)
1 inch of ginger and galangal
1 1/2 cm chunck of Belacan (shrimp paste) wrapped in foil and cooked on a gas element for a 5 minutes (yeah it stinks , get over it, it does taste good!)
5 cloves of arlic
2 chillis (more or less depending on how hot you like it)
1 Bay leaf crumbled (hopefully not too old)
Kecap Manis - I didnt measure, it is too sticky but a far bit. (it should be quite thick though)

Put all the ingrediants in a food processor and blend to a paste.

Coat both sides of the chops with the marinade and leave to marinade for at least an hour. Scrape excess marinade off. Cook either on the bbq or in a really hot oven on a wire rack above a tray with alittle water on it until the chops are cooked.

Serve with rice, gado gado, some sambal terasi. Yum!

11 comments:

eat stuff said...

Thankyou so much :)
I am pretty happy with the photo too..
It tasted as good as it looked.

eat stuff said...

I use a fuji Finepix s602z
it has really good macro and super macro settings :)

gwenda said...

mm i love indonesian too! this sounds and looks good!

eat stuff said...

Oh it soo was Gwenda! mmmm
I am glad that you agree as a fellow indo lover

pinkcocoa said...

hey clare
you know i was frying belacan last night and gosh, the whole apartment stinks!!! *sigh* what to do when the man loves nasi goreng...

eat stuff said...

Hi Pink cocoa!

Belacan stinks I agree. Not quite so bad after is has been roasteed though. Pity that it makes the taste of the food sooo much better.

eat stuff said...

Hi Melissa

I have been to Indonesia, but it was awhile ago now, but I definately want to go back. We have some really good Indonesian Restaurants around here (Eastern Suburbs of Sydney) as there alot of Indonesian Students. I think they adjust the quantities for Australia though :)

Reid said...

Hi Clare,

Ooh yum! It looks so delicious! Do you have any leftovers? Can I have some please????? =P

eat stuff said...

Reid,
If you come to Sydney I will make it for you anyday :)

Hows that? No lousy leftovers...

Reid said...

Hi Clare,

Sounds great! BTW, I just tagged you for this meme.

http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2005/06/five_favorite_b.html

eat stuff said...

Hi Reid
That is cool, I will have to think about it htough as I have no idea how to narrow it down to 5 books!

Post a Comment