Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Can you recreate Genius?



So remember when I told you guys about Fratelli Fresh? Um .... yeah of course you do... Well I went back to their restarurant for lunch with my mum. We shared a frittata with goats curd (Great), and 2 side salads: Grilled Mushrooms (ok, but nothing to write home about) and Rocket and parmesan salad with balsmaic dressing (Unbeleivable). Unbelievable, it was so simple. Fresh bitey rocket, finely grated aged parmesan and aged balsamic ( I later found out that it was a $40 bottle of balsamic) they all melded into the perfect easy salad. But here is the problem, will it work at home? Fresh rocket (check), Block of parmesan (check), EVOO (check), Balsamic (check). I have a bottle of Balsamic which had been the best I could easily find at the supermarket (oh the shame), it is supposingly 3 grape leaf quality which is right between 2 and 4 grape leaves obviously and is perfect for roast meats, fish and warm sauces. What ever that means! So I mixed some EVOO ( I heart acronyms) Balsamic and S&P added it to 2 big hand fulls of rocket and 1 of grated parmesan. So how was it.... really great but not the incredible epiphany of the salad at Cafe Sopresa. Gee I wish I didn't have to be a cheap bastard *sigh*. But if I hadn't had the magic salad I would have been even more impressed. I will still make this though as it is soooo easy! I served it with a pork chop that I rubbed with harissa paste and salt and pepper, pretty close to perfect... at least I know what is missing. Some REALLY expensive Balsamic *sigh* Or you can go pay $5 for a side salad at Fratelli Fresh ;)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

clare i heart balasamic!! I could eat BV on just about anything, that salad sounds great! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

TRY IT then.....
have you had some really exe stuff... they do tasting too OMG SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare, if you are a fan of balsamic, you must try Donna Hay's balsamic glazed chicken. It is perfect with the inexpensive stuff, as it reduces to a beautiful consistency. I'll find out which book it is featured in. 

Posted by tara

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare - Yes simple balsamic with arugula is really good stuff - see I do eat greens! I've tasted some really expsive stuff aged a gillions years $60-$100 bottle - and they all aste a bit different - but it gets to the point - "It's all just really good vinegar..." BTW, I'm sure you have many varieties of Chinese Black Vinegar - some of them have that sweet-sour taste, but without the smoothness of balsamic. 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

I might not have been the magic salad, but that photo sure looks yummy! (minus the cheese, of course!)  

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Clare,
Yeah that salad sounds gorgeous! LOL Yeah the most expensive balsamic vinegar I let myself buy was an 18 dollar one infused with blackberries. *sigh* It is all gone, and now, do I dare spend the money again. No! LOL I am cheap I guess. *sigh* Well maybe someday.  

Posted by MIlgwimper

Anonymous said...

mmm... yummy. Love the picture too. Can you come to NY and cook this for me? LOL. 

Posted by Kristi

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I win! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

Well that salad certainly sounds and looks divine, but am I the only carnivore who is drooling over that pork chop or what? Great photo. Yeah, great. Now I'm hungry for a pork chop. Why do you do this to me? Why? Why? And how do you manage to outcook yourself every night? How? How? : ) 

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

Super yummy including the pork chop. Sigh! I wish I also had an expensive bottle of balsamic vinegar, mine is now finishing so it will be time to go look for one and they can be so expensive. 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare!
Your blog is great - I found it from your hilarious comments made on some of my other favorite blogs (like Kitchenmage today!). I wish we could ALL afford a $40 bottle of balsamic - I'm jealous of all those foodies out there that can! I also noticed you're a student of science like myself - what are you studying? 

Posted by Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara
Thanks :) that would be great!

Hi Kirk
This salad was so good but that one.. OMG!! I swear it must be the balsamic, because I sure don't know what it would be otherwise. I have had chinese black vinegar, I don't have any at the mom.. I will get some more :)

Hi Amy
It was good, pity I have been spoilt :P You will have to make it without the cheese then ;)

Hi Milly
I have never seen infused blasamics here, sounds good though!

Hi Kristi
Will you pay for my flight? if so I am there!!!

Hi Cara
Yes you do! on the first post and cheese front :P

Hi Fg
This was cooked in RECORD TIME
The thing that took the longest was washing and cleaning the rocket from my mum's garden

Hi Boo
Yep... This one isn't too bad, and most of the time it's ok.. or is it? Nooo I hope I haven't been too spoilt!

Hi Michelle!
Nice to meet you!! Me funny? I am so not, deadly serious actually. Jealous? Me too... Me too...., Yes I am! I am an ecologist! tres cool! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Oh, ecology....that is so cool. I've been meaning to ask you that myself. 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Yep it is cool Amy! :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare,
Awesome an ecologist! :D I studied biology witth an emphasis on clinical micro. 

Posted by MIlgwimper

Anonymous said...

Hi Mily
Yep tres cool :) 

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment