Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Strawberry Custard Tart


Yum, I was walking past this bakery on King St Newtown when I saw this tart and I just had to get it......

JUST KIDDING :P

Actually, I had made way to much shortcrust pastry for my Smoked Salmon Quiche and on the weekend I just happened to purchase a set of itty bitty tart pans... and the rest is history, literally hehehe in our tummy's!

Casey really likes Custard and I had some really big Strawberries, so I figured that a strawberry Custard tart would come very naturally.... I do have to admit that I used Custard powder (OMG! what a shocker!) Well, I had used the last of my eggs in the quiche, so sue me :P. Using Custard powder did make this a very easy tart to make though. To replicate the creme patisserie I doubled the amount of custard powder to 4 TBSP to 500 mls of Skim milk, which I cooked til thick (make sure you let it cook out the flour taste) I added a little extra Madagascar vanilla extract and let it cool. I baked off the wholemeal shortcrust in the itty bitty tart pans and when golden I let them cool. I whipped some fresh cream (please no thickened creme!) and mixed it with the creme patisserie and piped it into the tart shells. That's right I said piped. I think that my subconscious may have had alterior motives afoot when it came up with idea... I might have to have words with myself! I had bought some disposable multilix piping bags at the supermarket a few weeks ago and thought I should give them a go, only for YOUR sakes you do understand ? ;) . They worked really well, no mess and I didn't have to wash them. I do have issues with them being disposable, but if I use the rest of the packet within the year I will buy a decent piping bag, how does that sound? I then laid the halved strawberries and laid a dusting of icing sugar over the top.

So how where they? Not to bad if I must say so myself. Definitely much better than 90% of the fruit tarts in local bakeries.... and heaps of fun to make!

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew  I would only get hungry coming over here. That tart looks and sounds incredibly yum! But I can't resist--I have to hassle you for using custard powder (LOL) even though I don't even know what it is! Ha--and for eating it all up without saving me a piece! Well, I guess I can forgive you for that. It looks sooooooo good. : )

Well done, you!  

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

They look delicious and the custard creme with extra cream and extra vanilla sounds positively decadent. 

Posted by Ana

Anonymous said...

The tart look oh-so-pretty! And here I have to admit that I LOVE custard made from custard powder :) something to do with food from my childhood I guess... 

Posted by Nupur

Anonymous said...

Ok - i hated custard when i was a kid (the skin)
but these days I can handle it much better
as you will find out

snob that I am - of course I wouldn't use the powder, but....

i used to love the colour, the smell and squeaky texture of it in the tin. 

Posted by sam

Anonymous said...

I love custard, must be from my UK days and tart is so gorgeous.  

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Fg
I managed to beat your visit? LOL! hehehehe glad it worked ;)

Hi Ana
and because I used skim milk it was actually not to rich and still tasted fab.

Hi Nupur
I think it is good and it is easy :)

HI Sam
it is so squeaky in the tin. I can make real custard too ;)

Hi Boo
I am rather impressed with myself! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Now I can believe you picked this up from a bakery--the photo is so beautiful, Clare! 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy
thanks so much! I am really quite happy with it, and the taste *clare smacks her lips!* (and it has wholemeal pastry ;) ) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

That looks very tasty - send me some? :) 

Posted by Joe @ Culinary in the Desert

Anonymous said...

Hi joe

how about a trade for some of your fab baked goodies? I don't know if the custard will travel though... pity u boys live so far away. 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Clare. I've never seen one that looks as tasty in my local market! 

Posted by Nic

Anonymous said...

Hi Nic
Really? You are so sweet! I bet you could bake a much better version though! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare,

Well you had me fooled! That tart looks gorgeous, and it looks mighty tasty. Send me one please! LOL :D 

Posted by mIlgwimper

Anonymous said...

YAY
You know I would have you over for tea and a tart if it was possible ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Terribly
Tasty
Tea
Time
Tart?
Tres
Terrific!
Ta Ta! ;o) 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

Jo you are 2 cool 4 skool ;) thanks  

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare!! My internet has been down foe what seems like forever. The tart is beautiflu, I don't like strawberrys but I could put some cherries on top. Did I just miss the spa pics, or have you not put them up yet? I will go check right now. 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara...
sorry I am slack I have been playing around with them, I will definately put them up in the morning though... ok?
Any fruit would be fab on the tart ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi clare,
ooh, your gorgeous tart had me drooling over my keyboard. Just look at the oozing custard and luscious strawberries! Yummy! 

Posted by Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia
Thanks sooo much :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

clare, the tart look absolutely delicious. are you gonna send me some? hahahaha  

Posted by babe_kl

Anonymous said...

Wow, color me impressed - you even made the crust yourself? I really thought you bought that from a bakery. Yummo. 

Posted by Easy Eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe
:) thanks... if only customs would allow it!

Hi Easy Eats,
I did make it myself, I was quite impressed with how well it turned out too :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

wow! nicely done! i completely believed you that you bought it, because it looks quite professional, even with the custard powder. That oven is giving you some magical powers I think :) 

Posted by Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele!
I wish :) I think it looks okay except for the dodgy cream piping ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

hmmm... my comment got reformatted... It WAS a lot cuter when I typed it in... I like the piping! 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

hi clare, custard powder is a guilty pleasure of mine...gorgeous looking tart, as always. sweet perfection!cheers,j 

Posted by J

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo
it was still really cute :)

Hi J
Still nothing on your beautiful sweets though! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

mmm that tart looks yummy clare. btw we will be in sydney weekend of 10th sept ... want to meet up for a eatstuff excursion? :)
 

Posted by rachel

Anonymous said...

:)
Um... yep! I do have a family picnic on the 10th but other than that!!! count us in ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

re: chicken in a can. Yes, its availble here in Canada and the US. The tart looks scrummy.  

Posted by Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Hi Anon
I still can't get over that YIKES! 

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment