Saturday, August 27, 2005

Vee Vee Mascot



You know how some places see really popular and when you go in and buy the food you think WHY? OH WHY is there a huge line of people and a whole heap of newspaper reviews on the wall when there is a much better, cheaper, friendlier place just down the road? Well that is what happens in Mascot.

Mascot might feel like the middle of nowhere, but there are a few gems located on Botany Road. The First Gem is Vee Vee bakery at 1177 Botany Rd. It might look like there is no one there, well actually there is but this is at 4 pm and not lunch hour. The 2 ladies are nice and polite and modest they were so humble when I asked them if I could take a photograph. Vee Vee sells a few different Bahn Mi, Chicken, Roast Pork, Pork Roll, vegetable, meatball and the most expensive are $3. $3 is .50 c cheaper than the bakery up the road :P apart from that the rolls here are much nicer, crispy and they use there own soy blend and not just Maggi seasoning, which adds to the overall roll experience and they have more counters, which means that they get through there customers much quicker too (and they have tables to sit at). These rolls make a tasty quick lunch and definatly beat the pants off the "larger" competition", if you know who I mean ;).

If you make the journey to try one of these babies make sure after you finish lunch you keep walking down Botany rd to Christophers cake shop and alittle further on is the Indian grocer where I found my Chapati press, you just never know you could get lucky too (they have indian sweets as well).

This post is dedicated to Kirk and all the other food bloggers who search for Bahn Mi Perfection!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, that looks great. We have a wonderful vietnamese resturant here called TU-DO. I love to go there. When I was PG with Cora, the oldest, I must have eaten ther three times a week, and now it is Cora's favorite resturant and she thinks that the reason she likes it so much is because I ate there so much while she was in my belly!!

I hope to get back on the blogging ball, I've been very busy latley with my new project, that you my have read about in a quaint little blog called www.beautyjoyfood.com. Bye!! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

Hi Cara
I am glad you agree that it looks good too:) How does Cora deal with the chilli?

Hmm Beauty Joy of Food? I might have heard of it... isn't the authoress Amy... I heard she is kinda sweet :p

just let me know when you are back in the swing of things ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare - Looks nice, lot's of cilantro (hehehe). Which version of Banh MI is pictured? THanks for thinking of me (again)! 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

Kirk
after all the crap I give you how could I not do something nice?
This is the chicken, which I normally get, I was planning on getting the meatball but "chicken" came out lol :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Tu-Do rox! I have not gone since I came back here. Cara and I will have to go get lunch there soon and post lots of photos. Anyway, love this write-up and photo Clare. Looks yummy! And that BJF blog you mention--hmmm, it's one of my favorites too, LOL. Besides Eat Stuff, of course. :) 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Awwww Clare - You've never given me any "crap" - after all you're my All Star Vegemite coach! 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy
I can't wait, sounds awesome! You appear to have the same name as the BJF authoress isn't that suprising ;) especially since you are sweet too :)

Hi Kirk
*grin* 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Wow this vitnamese bread roll sandwich has certainly opened my eyes to a nice idea! Thanks :) 

Posted by Equalizer

Anonymous said...

These Sandwhiches are great Equaliser! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare, I like to lurk on your site :) . It's a nice and yummy blog. And I also love pork rolls from that shop. Surely, it is the best in town. 

Posted by mochabookworm

Anonymous said...

Hi Mocha bookworm
I am so glad you like eatstuff and have decided to unlurk yourself :) So you live in Sydney too? I think these are the best viet rolls around too! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

mmmm sob banh mi is certainly one big thing i miss about living in sydney *drool* I really love the taste of the pate and I definitely agree with you about the home made fish/soy sauce mix as opposed to maggi. 

Posted by rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Rach
MMM bahn mi, are there no vietnamese bakeries in Cowra?
 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

well yes there is one veitnamese bakery but they make aussie stuff like pies, vanilla slice, hedgehog slice, pizzas... well exactly the same stuff as the other 2 Australian bakeries in town :( I have asked them to make banh mi but they said they are afraid no one will buy it. I guess its hard for them to get cha lua (vietnamese ham) as well 

Posted by rachel

Anonymous said...

*sigh* oh well you can only ask :(

OOOH! the moon festival is on in cabramatta on the 11th! from 12pm to 9pm :)  

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

clare, cora is does not care for chilli at all!!! Maybe she will come around with time!! 

Posted by Cara

Post a Comment