Monday, August 22, 2005

Quiche enough for any man


That quiche looks ok doesn't it? Well it definitely tasted even better, It looks really big because I made it in my huge 30 cm (for us anyway ;) ) Pyrex tart pan, because you if you go to the effort make it big enough for 2 meals or at least lunch the next day.

Did I tell you I cooked it in my new oven? Notice that there are no crispy burnt bits. This probably sounds like I am doting a little bit, I know, I know, but I am just so happy it worked so well.

Whenever I make a quiche I just use what ever I fancy at the time or have at hand, so I know it isn't that traditional but they always work out really well. Today I did cheat though because I decided I really wanted some smoked salmon so I went and bought some ;). The other thing I find about them is that they can be too heavy or rich. This can be a good thing, but not for your average nights meal where you don't want to be too concerned about your arteries hardening. So I use skim milk with the eggs, try to use veggies that have been grilled or roasted without too much extra grease and only a little good cheese rather than a ton of 'eh'.

The basic plan is:

Wholemeal Shortcrust pastry

Then
100 gms of smoked salmon
1/2 bunch of dill, chopped
1/2 a punnet of cherry tomatoes sliced in half
1 Kumera(Sweet potato) peeled and thinly sliced and grilled
1 handful of button mushrooms thinly sliced and sated
1 red capsicum, skin blackened and sliced into strips
1 avocado peeled and sliced
1 small Brie sliced
salt and pepper

6 eggs beaten with some skim milk and S&P

Line a 30 cm tart tin with the pastry and prebake at 180 degrees C for 15 mins.

Layer the ingredients with the tomatoes and Brie on the top. Bake in a 200 Degree C oven til set and golden around 30 - 40 mins

*Note* Adjust to suit the size of your pan.

Serve with a simple salad!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally! A quiche recipe that I think I could leave the cheese out of without it falling apart. Thanks, Clare! 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Clare - That's pretty huge quiche.... 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

Oooh...Matt would like this. I mean, he'd *really* like this! 

Posted by Stephanie

Anonymous said...

yum, yum! I love anything with smoked salmon so this quiche looks great and healthy too. 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy
I think you just need to use enough eggs ;)


Hi Kirk
I think it would serve 6?

Hi Stephanie
If you make it let me know! It tasted fantstic

Hi Boo
How good is smoked salmon mmmmmmmmmm, i think it should be alittle healthy :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare,

That is good looking quiche! I am so hungry looking at the picture, although I have to admit that I am salmoned out. :( But I love the picture. 

Posted by mIlgwimper

Anonymous said...

Hi Milly
Thanks :) it would be fab with out the smoked salmon too ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Big Quiche - it looks very tasty! Glad to hear the oven is working perfectly! 

Posted by Joe @ Culinary in the Desert

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
but since we will get 3 delicious meals out of it I am happy ;) The oven is working great! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare,
Oh boy, your quiche looks scrumptious! I'd love to trade for a piece - can offer a few pancakes (ok not really the same league, but can't blame me trying, right)... ;)) 

Posted by Oliver

Anonymous said...

Hi Oliver
If you come to Sydney I will make one just for you and N. How does that sound?  

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

i wish we were neighbours! well done 

Posted by tian

Anonymous said...

Hi Tian
that is sooo sweet :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi clare, the quiche is lovely. Do u find that using pyrex tart pan, the crust do not brown as nicely as using metal pans? Or is it just me :(  

Posted by ST

Anonymous said...

Hi ST
hmmm, I was wondering that, but it did seem to brown up nicely and not be over done after the double bake. I am thinking that I wouldn't mind a nice big metal tart dish too :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

The quiche looks so inviting - but I'm dying to know, what is your recipe for wholemeal shortcrust? 

Posted by Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi jane
I will post it just for you :) 

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment