Monday, May 30, 2005

EOMEOTE #7 Limerick Edition



OMG, I am so embarrassed that is the worst limerick I have ever read (and I wrote it...)
well we should just ignore that for now.. If you want to read more just like it (but better) then visit the roundup at cook sister.

So what is that weird looking looking thing in the top corner? It is my entry for EOMEOTE of course. I have been hankering for French toast ever since I saw pinkcocoa's awesome second entry for SHF. I couldn't just make French toast though, and I was tossing up if I should make something savoury. Then I remembered that I had some Cows nest Blackberry Jam care of Casey's parents. This is awesome jam, very old scool, it comes from the Cobargo Markets and it is made by hippies from Wild blackberries. It is thick, fruity and puts all other blackberry jam's to shame. mmmmmm

So I figured that if I sliced some nice Italian Bread thinly, spread one side with the Cows Nest Jam and dipped the whole lot in a mixture of egg, a drop of milk, a little orange zest a pinch of sugar and a tiny little bit of salt which has been beaten together. The eggy bread is then fried in alittle butter till the outside is nice and golden, my tongue is hanging out of my mouth, I think my hankering for French toast is building again.. Oh well....

You just have to make this next Sunday for your loved ones, even if you are only thinking of them because of the Jam they cared enough to share with you (thanks M&D). I had this with some of my freshly roasted coffee and it was sooo delicious, see my heart isn't it cute?

15 comments:

Michèle said...

Hi Clare, the french toast looks really good! I just made french toast on sunday morning and we had been discussing what, if anything, we would want to put between 2 slices of french toast without it being too heavy.. We couldn't come up with anything off the top of our sleepy heads but I think jam is a brilliant idea!

eat stuff said...

Thanks Michele :)
the jam worked really well, it wasnt heavy at all, but I didnt go overboard either.

I also sliced the bread reasonably thinnly, as I was scared it would be too thick.

eat stuff said...

Thanks Moira :)

pinkcocoa said...

hey clare
ohhhh your french toast looks good!! Ohh you know if you spread peanut butter instead of jam and no need to use very thin slice of bread, you will have french-toast hong-kong style! :) Love your sweetheart coffee. It's soooo cute!
btw, thanks for the sweet mention of my blog and shf entry! I also like the way you present your pics!!! It's very decorative and attractive.

eat stuff said...

Hi Pinkcocoa :)
Ooh... That sounds good, I love peanut butter, I might have to buys some...

No problem, Your story was my inspiration :)as if you wouldnt mention you!

YOu like how I am doing my pics? really? Thanks so much I think it looks nice and bright!

You will have to come over for a coffee one day :) I am still learning, I need to get a frothing jug to make the pouring easier.

xx

eat stuff said...

Amy, it was heavenly!
mmm but use the BEST JAM you can get your hands on... :)

joe cupcake said...

hey now you're making me want french toast! and i had it twice last weekend already.
funny you mention the cow's nest folks.. i visited there many years ago as a wwoofer and one of our jobs was to pick blackberries. it's a beautiful place and they're not even really hippies (not in the annoying way anyway).

i wonder what else we can put in french toast? i'm thinking marscapone but maybe that would have to go on top.

pinkcocoa said...

Yessss I have to come around for coffee one day!! I want the sweetheart version, okie? :)

eat stuff said...

Hi esther,

It is sooo beautiful down there :), I didnt mean hippies in the bad sense, but a very good sense :)

I have been thinking about what else I could put in there... I was thinking bannana... but not sure, perhaps some thin slice would work.. mascapone sounds nice :) perhaps on top mixed with maple syrup with the bannana in the middle?

Hi Pinkcocoa :)
Of course you can have one with a heart on top as long as it works properly! mmmm I am having one now :)

eat stuff said...

Hi Ag,

My attempts at doing latte art are very much affected by my using a coffee cup to pour from. I think my micro foam is getting better and better but I havent managed to get a thin enough stream yet. I am getting lots of crema :)

What sort of coffee do you use?

eat stuff said...

hmm
I think I need to send you some green coffee beans to roast your self. Or go to www.coffeesnobs.com.au and order a green bean newbie pack from here
http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=BeanBay;action=display;num=1113484527

If you want good enough crema to do latte art you need the freshest coffe possible. I always get about 1 to 11/2 cms of crema in a double shot. The only downside is that once you try it there is no going back.



Is it a semi or super auto saeco?

Send me an email if you want me to send you some :)

Stephanie said...

Oh, Lord...does that sound good! And I recently made a bunch of jellies and marmalades...will definitely be trying that!

eat stuff said...

:)
It was sooo goood!
hmm I have soume sour cherry sourdough....

Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about **keyword** and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about sub penny stock so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe
LOL, well I definately don't offer barista training, but I like to roast my own coffee and make espressos so maybe that's why it came up?  

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment