Monday, May 23, 2005

Gelatine know how

I have realised that perhaps everyone is not aware of the best way to dissolve gelatine to ensure that it turns out lump and granule free, especially of you do not want to boil the liquid that the gelatine is to set.

Here is the method.

For 1 TBSP of gelatine add 50mls of water, place this into a heat proof bowl. Leave for a few minutes until the gelatine has absorbed the water, it will swell right up. Then either place the bowl into a double boiler, and stir until the gelatine melts. When the Gelatine has melted the liquid will be clear and all traces of the granules will be gone. Then you can easily mix the dissolved gelatine into the rest of the liquid, which should be at room temperature. This amount of gelatine should set atleast 500mls of liquid for a firm set, if you want the mixture to have more wobble add more liquid. ( I used the whole tin of lychees to 1 tbsp of gelatine).

Yay! Lump free gelatine and it takes hardly any time to set either.

hmm, I think I am going to go make some Coffee Jelly!

The round up of SHF and IMBB are ready, so go check out all the other fabulous citrus and Jelled recipes that have been written by fellow bloggers around the world.

4 comments:

Nic said...

Great post, Claire. The mysteries of gelatin explained! Thanks.

eat stuff said...

Hi Nic,

I hope it is helpful, when I found out how to do it like this it sure helped me..

Elise said...

Very helpful tip, thank you!

eat stuff said...

Hi Elise

I hope it helps!

Post a Comment