Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Best Fish Pie



Why have I put pictures of this big gloopy stuff on your screen? Well, it's not gloopy is was crispy and yummy. It was so good that Casey declared it one of the best dishes I have ever made. What, where did that come from?

When we bought the red fish I had intended on making fish soup.. But without my Prawn stock (I know get over it already!)I was at a loss... What to make? Well I have always wanted to make a fish pie so.... I thought here it goes. Casey, he didn't agree... Fish pie "I don't know" he said. Well :P to you I said and made it anyway. LOL! He definitely ate his words when he ate it I tell you!

This was incredibly easy to make, healthy, yummy and you could easily make a HUGE one for a big family or a party!

The Best Fish Pie Recipe

ingredients
5 large potatoes, made into mashed potatoes (seasoned and with butter and milk)
3 hard boiled eggs, quartered
1 bunch of Chinese broccoli, sliced and just steamed (or spinach steamed)
500gms of Firm white fish (I used red fish, or you could used smoked fish) sliced into strips. Make sure the fish is either boneless or you pin bone it.
1 large onion diced
5 cloves of garlic, diced
Some veggies diced( your choice of celery, carrot, fennel) ( would be a good way to hide veggies from your kids)
1 big tbsp of butter
2 dsp of flour
1 big bunch of herbs diced, I used dill and parsley.
1 and 1/2 cups of milk (aprox) ( I used skim milk but water milk you like)
2 big handfuls of cheddar cheese (not orange stuff!!!!) + a little extra
juice of 1/2 a lemon or lime
Salt and pepper

Saute onion, garlic, and diced veggies in butter, when soft add flour and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add milk stirring constantly (the amount you need will depend on the size of your dish. When you have added all the milk and the mixture is thick, cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat add cheese, lemon juice herbs and season to taste.

Place steamed Chinese broccoli in the bottom of your lasagna dish, top with quartered eggs and fish pieces. Pour sauce on top, evenly. Cover the top in Mashed Potato and place in a preheated oven to180C for aprox 30 minutes, till the sauce is bubbling around the sides.

Optional Grate a little extra cheese over the top and bake till the cheese bubbles and is golden.
Serve with some salad maybe some crispy bread. We enjoyed a James Boag Premium with this VERY much!

You could make this the day before and store in the fridge and bake then. Casey said his leftovers for lunch were better than the night before.
Posted in
, , , ,

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow Clare, this sounds GREAT! I'm gonna have to give this a shot post haste... What exactly is "red fish". Is there an Aussie American translation? Tomorrow I plan on posting a report of "acquisitions" aiming towards several different recipes including yours! ;o) 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo!
That's great. Redfish is a relatively cheap, firm white flesh fish with a sweet flavour. Use any fish that you think would work instead. I hope you try it! I can't wait to know what you think. 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo
You also want to make sure it is either boneless or you pin bone the fish first 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hey fish pie is my fav also. Yeah, that is the thing about pies, they always taste nicer the day after. 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo
Fish Pie rocks! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

The fish pie looks great and I can imagine it to be really yummy, I'll have to make this one Clare. Red fish is really good in baked casserole type dishes. Yum! 

Posted by marg

Anonymous said...

Hi Marg!

Thanks :). The red fish worked well in the pie. I hope you make I know you would like it! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

*Sigh* I suppose cheeselovers adore this pie but alas, I am not one of them. I was right there with you up until the 2 big handfuls of cheddar cheese. Could I make this with no cheese and substitute fish stock for the milk, do you think? 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

So you don't like milk either? hmm
You could definately leave out the cheese. Perhaps fish stock would work... Or maybe tomato? If you use tomato I wouldnt make a roux still.

I comletely forgot out your hatred of cheese *sigh* That sure is a pity. 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare- I was just at Amy's site and got your new message, I have to assume that you are yeling at me now!! Well don't you worry your pretty little heart, soon I will stop "blog loading" off Amy. She and I have something in the works. Are you gitty with anticaption??!!

Oh yea, your fish pie looks good too!!! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

Me? yell at you? on noooo dear! I wouldn't do that.

Yes I am excited, I just thought you might need alittle more motivation to start your own blog ;)

Thanks! Do you like cheese?
 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE cheese!! My husband often says that he wishes he was a piece of cheese!!!!! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

I find myself nedding to correct my spelling yet again. the word is "giddy" oh well, I can't spell and I am not ashamed to admit it, maybe that is why I have yet to start my own blog, fear of spelling correctly!!! 

Posted by Cara

Anonymous said...

LOL! That is too cute! I BET he does ;) You should try this Pie then!

hmm I think you can already tell how worried I am about spelling correctly... actually that is not quite true, I know how to spell, I just type to faset and don't check myself well enough. Don't let that stop you! There is always the blogger spell checker to help you out ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare,

The fish pie looks delicious. I think the boy knows what he's talking about! =) I wonder how it would taste made with snapper or do you think something like seabass would work better? This is a must try. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid
Snapper would be great! (I have newver had sea bass I don't think we get it here?). As long as it is a firm white fish and sweet it would be perfect. Although salmon or ocean trout would be very! nice too ;)

Yeah, the boys taste isn't too bad he chose me after all LOL! 

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment