Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Indo at home :Spicy Prawn Sambal



After the last weeks seafood shopping mishap we were on the hunt for good cheap prawns again. Baby they were there they were cheap and great! (If you live in Sydney $7.40 kg!!!)
I am still upset about the Thai prawn salad, so I just couldn't go there again. I had a feeling about what I would like to make but.... I wasn't quite sure.

I came home and I saw the little Indonesian homestyle cookbook that Casey's sister had brought back from Indonesia for me, I flicked through a few pages and I saw this! Yep that is what I am a makin'! It also earns bonus points because Jo and Miligwimper will be able to use up there large collection of 'Bomb's in a jar' sauces they are about to be overloaded with ;) LOL!

So is this to hot? Is this to spicy? No and No! There is a little heat but life would be boring with out that, and if you like a nice Thai curry then you will love this.

I recommend serving this with plain rice and some raw vegetables, tomato and cucumber. If there is a few people to serve then a gado gado or pecel salad would be perfect. The best drink to compliment this has to be a nice crisp beer. Don't be scared just try it!

ingredients
450g prawns *
3 TBSP oil
1 stem lemongrass, thickend only, bruised
2 cm galangal, bruised
3 bay leaves (optional)
1/4 tsp of freshly ground pepper
200mls thick coconut milk
salt to taste

Spice Paste
4 chilies ( use the size and heat you are comfortable)
4 shallots
4 cloves of garlic
10 candlenuts or macadamias
1 tsp belacan/terasi (malay/indonesian dried shrimp paste) toasted #
3 TBSP shopped palm sugar or dark brown sugar
80 mls water

If you are using prawns in the shell cut off prawn legs and rinse.
To make the spice paste, coarsely chop the chilies, shallots, garlic and candlenuts place in a blender or food processor with the shrimp paste, palm sugar and water. Blend to a smooth paste.
Heat oil in a wok or a saucepan. Fry til the Spice paste is fragrant and the oil separates. Add the prawns^, lemongrass, galangal, bay leaves, ground black pepper, coconut milk and salt to taste.
Stir fry over medium heat until the prawns are cooked through and the sauce is thick, aprox 15 minutes.

* you can use pre cooked prawns
# this paste does smell, Wrap a hunk in foil and toast under the grill or in a gas burner for a few minutes to toast
^ If you add precooked prawns don't add them at the beginning, add them towards the end for about 2 minutes, just long enough to warm them up.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it is almost midnight here and I'm the first one to post because I stayed out later than I expected tonight and decided to check the blogs before I went to bed! I'm so glad you found some good prawns (and didn't get the wrong bag this time, LOL) because wow! this dish looks wonderful! I'm always happy to add a good seafood recipe to my collection. 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy!!!!
Yay I am so glad you posted :) Doesn't this look good? Well it tastes even better... :)

Hmm We almost left the fish behind though! but that is a WHOLE other story ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks really good! I gotta try this. 

Posted by Kirk

Anonymous said...

Kirk
I KNOW you will love this.. it is SO GOOD!
I was in h e a v e n 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Clare! Thats looks so delicious... I am so glad it is time to head out to meet The Boy for dinner. Not sure what we are having, but I am going to try for curry or prawns if I can :) 

Posted by saffron

Anonymous said...

Hi Saffron!
Have a great meal :) I am with you on both counts ;) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare,

Sambal prawns are really good. The first time I had them was when I was in Singapore. ST made them at the dinner we had. I've made them at home once, but somehow they didn't taste the same. =( 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid
I have had them in restaurants, but this was the first time I made them myself. I have to say they were AWESOME and I am going to make them again and again. But I have never tried them in Singapore *sigh* 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Such good stuff. Looks delicious. Gotta go and get some prawns and shrimp paste. Hunting in the asian markets! Fun. 

Posted by wendy

Anonymous said...

Ah hah, no wonder you were talking about belacan being a bit smelly. Those prawns look super duper yummy. *Hungry for some as it's just before dinnertime here* 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy :)
Make sure to get the malay or indonesian shrimp paste!
I LOVE Hunting in asian grocery stores too :)

Hi Boo
MM The belacan might be alittle smelly before it is toasted but I think it smells like roasted prawns afterwards and it sure makes the food taste GREAT! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

So what's the fish story, Clare? Or is that a post for another day? :) 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

clare, your sambal prawns look really scrumptious! I've got to try out your recipe; the rempah sounds great. Love how you've arranged the food too. :) 

Posted by Julia

Anonymous said...

ooo, this DOES look delish! I can get decent sized shrimp (I's a suthanuh, weuns don't have "prawns" ::wink::) head on for $4 a lb. Not sure how that translants in to metric =o(

Question for you, "belacan/terasi", does that mean equal portions of both or use one thing or the other? 

Posted by Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy that's another days post *grin*

Hi Julia
Thanks *grin* I think the "simple" arrangement worked out best.

Hi Jo
1 pound is aprox 1/2 a kilo ;) and belaca nnd terasi are two different names for pretty much the same thing :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

YAY! I love sambal! THANK YOU CLARE!! Send the bombs! *gives clare a wink* "just for you" Milgwimper "Shakes her bum bumity bum bum in your direction and looks to the sky for the chili bombs!" HUGZ :D 

Posted by milgwimper

Anonymous said...

Have you made it then?

Oh you have to make this I KNOW you will love it mmmmm chilli *grin* 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Oh I am sooooo hungry now! Never go food blogging on an empty stomach. Never! : ) 

Posted by farmgirl

Anonymous said...

*grin* Hi farm grl! I guess that was a good response then?

Oh I wont be modest, those PRAWNS ROCKED!!!!!! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

tasted great, but didnt turn out like the pic. Mine were green! 

Posted by gem

Post a Comment