Thursday, July 21, 2005

Marsala potatoes


When I was filling in my most recent MEME which was courtesy of Amy, I realised how much I was missing the Indian feasts that my sister and I would make together. During that time, I learnt so much about spicing and tempering dishes, my chopping skills improved immensely and my ability to "time" a meal became innate. This was of course not the only reason I miss it, I also miss cooking with my little sister, discussing what we would make, how would do much and the equal shared pride in the end product.

As I mentioned, I don't have the original book which still jars me, but looking through my immense cookbook collection I found my little purple cooking notebook where I had scribbled a few recipes whilst on the phone to my father. They were my favourite Lamb and Eggplant curry and this Marsala Potatoes. Luckily I managed to have all the ingredients required to throw this together (except I had to substitute a few spices, although I am going on a major spice hunt on the weekend!)

This potato dish is great as a meal on its own, with a curry or with a piece of fish, chicken, tofu or steak. I really hope that you try it! Don't be scared off at the number of spices, or the number of chilies! Although adjust the chilly level to your own tastes.

I served this as a dish in it's self to remind me of little sis with just 2 very simple raitas. I hope you enjoy this! We certainly did :) (Casey gave it a 5 star next day lunch rating too!)

I do recommend using a nice heavy saucepan to make this though, my le creuset oven was perfect ;)

Marsala Potatoes

225g Potatoes, 1 inch dice
225g rice
2 tbsp oil
25g Onion, diced
2-3 cloves
1/2 inch cinnamon ( I didnt have any so I used some cinnamon powder, but a stick is better and don't break it up!)
2 cardamom, cracked to release the flavour
2-3 Bay leaves
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds (powder will work though)
1 tsp of ginger and garlic paste (grate ginger and garlic then pound a little in a mortar in pestle, if you don't own a M&P just grate)
1/4 tsp of tumeric powder
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
3/4 tsp of salt
1 TBSP of low fat natural yoghurt
1 green chilli ( or a long red chilli, if this is the only dish you might like to increase this)
425 mls of water

Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, add onion, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and cumin, fry till it smells nice. Add ginger and garlic paste , tumeric, chilli and salt. Stir and cook for a few minutes till onion is soft.
Add yoghurt and water. Bring to the boil. Add rice green chilli and potatoes. Cover and simmer on lowest heat for 25 minutes. Stand 3 - 4 minutes before serving.

Tomato Raita
Dice tomato, red onion, garlic, chilli, add coriander, lime juice, salt and pepper. Leave to marinate.

Yoghurt Raita
Toast cumin seeds in a saucepan with no oil til they start to pop. Add to yoghurt with garlic, salt lemon juice and mint. (cucumber is really good too)

With the raitas adjust amounts to the number of people you are feeding.

I hope you enjoy this :)
Posted in , , ,

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clare you are on fire! you are a cooking machine! The potatoes sound yummy, the cinnamon and cardamom in there really appeals to me. I love the combination. I even use those two spices when I make my granola. (And lately I've been making a new batch twice a week!) And raita, mmm. Yes, I love raita too :)  

Posted by Michele

Anonymous said...

Hi Michele.... *pssht* there you go I just tipped a bucket of water on my head, definately cold now! LOL

The potatoes are REALLY GOOD! (if they aren't good I dont post!)

I did add some mustard seeds to mine this time though as well. They were definately as good as I remembered though. 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

This dish is great when served with begonia ! :) 

Posted by sam

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam!

noo much better with african violet  ;)

lol 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Yum, I think I will have to try making this fabulous looking marsala potatoes and eat it with sour cream.  

Posted by ST

Anonymous said...

Hi ST!
They are really good! They would be great with sour cream. Have you had the yogurt Raita before? You could spice the sourcream up the same too! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Delicious, Clare, and I liked reading about you and your sister. Let's see some more Indian dishes. 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy!
notice no cheese? LOL! I will definately put up some more of these recipes as they are really good and generally have had the fat content reduced which makes them much nicer to eat. Hmm could be a good case to steal the cook book! 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Well maybe you could "borrow" the cookbook and then just "forget" to return it. :) 

Posted by Amy

Anonymous said...

sounds delicious. and perfect for the chilly weather. mmmm potatoes! :) 

Posted by Saffron

Anonymous said...

Except they know where I live! LOL Good idea though.

Hi Saffron!
I was wondering what you would think of it? It is really good! I had an indian sweet today and it wa so yummy. I looked for bannana chips but the store I was in didnt have any :( 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hey, your cooking reminds me of my Indian friend from London. She used to make for me these yummy curried potatoes and peas dish. You like Indian sweets? We have restaurants here just selling lots of those in Malaysia. Must take a picture of them for you. 

Posted by boo_licious

Anonymous said...

Hi Boo!
I love that potato and pea curry! You should try this easy and so yummy!
I am only just starting on Indian sweets but I really like them. I would love it if you took a photo for me
 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare,

Did I ever tell how much I love your photos? They just look so cute. I just love all those tomatoes piled up like that. Yummy! 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid :) *GRIN*

Your just trying to make me feel special after I told you I loved you... *shh* I might get into trouble LOL!

Thanks so much that means alot as your photos are always so nice! I need to get some nice servingware to make my pictures look better! Do you think I should keep or remove the foilage?
 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

I think you mean 'masala' potatoes, don't you? Because I got quite excited look for the sweet alcohol in the recipe (like Italian marsala chicken), but only saw Indian spices and no Italian fortified wine ;-) *giggle* 

Posted by Niki

Anonymous said...

LOL!
Yep.... all because I dont have the book! The potatoes are good though :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

Hi Clare,

I think you should move the foliage. It makes the background a little too busy IMHO. 

Posted by Reid

Anonymous said...

Thanks reid
I will :) 

Posted by clare eats

Anonymous said...

THAT"S ME!!!!
Ha1 Ha! Ha!
Currently I have the famous book too!!!!!
Curry rocks, write more about me!!!!
Jada 

Posted by Jade Becker

Anonymous said...

:P

You do? GRRR! That is sooo funny :) you are in the childhood memories meme too :)

You like? 

Posted by clare eats

Post a Comment