Friday, July 15, 2005

SHF 10 Oh Honey!



Well I have to say thanks so much to all of you, my lovely reader for the comments on my new template! And since you were all so very kind, I will give you my SHF post as promised ... so back to your regularily scheduled post!

The lovely Nic has chosen a very sweet topic for this months SHF, Honey! Well, I agree whole heartedly with the idea of honey, I love bees and as a child I REALLY wanted a hive. But I have never really liked the taste, everyone else in family adores it, especially honey on bananna sandwhiches . But not me! Although if the honey is cooked or in beer then I generally dont mind the flavour, I know, I know but I have tried. Luckily Casey is a honey fiend, so I knew that I would have a willing imbideder (is that even a word :P ) if I wasnt up to the flavour.

So I thought and considered for soo long what sweet I would make for SHF, I considered candy...but then I would eat to much of it ans that's no good, I wanted to make a honey and pine nut tart..but no pinenuts! Then I thought about the land of milk and honey! So a bread with milk and honey and butter in a scroll with more butter and honey and a little cinnamon, I thought heck I think even I will like that! You know what? It is actually really good! Even I think so. The bread had a lovely texture and would make a fantastic sandwhich loaf or yummy bread rolls too. Sorry that alittle of the roll is too dark but I was bitten by the oven of infinite sadness again.

Honey Butter Scroll
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1 package or one tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 cups sifted unbleached white flour (approximately)
3 cups sifted stoneground wholemeal flour (approximately) (lowan brand in Australia)

Place butter, salt and honey in mixer bowl. Scald milk, add to bowl; allow to cool. Soften yeast in warm water. When milk mixture has cooled to lukewarm, add yeast mixture. Add about two cups of flour, beat well, then gradually add remaining flour to make a light, sticky dough. Turn dough into greased bowl, cover and chill thoroughly, then form into your favorite roll shape. Allow to rise in a warm place until dough is doubled in bulk.

Bake at 400 degrees F until golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then turn rolls over to finish cooling upside down.

For shaped rolls: Try making small dough balls for plain rolls. Make large balls for sandwiches. Top sandwich rolls with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.

For spiral rolls: Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thick, spread with butter, butter, honey and cinnamon , then roll up into a log and slice.

If you are a honey lover drizzle the top of the bun with lots of honey before eating.

I found that the buns where really nice, not too sweet slight cinnamon, they would be perfect for brunch.

Thanks for such a nice quick round up nic! I hope you do make the buns for breakfast :)



Posted in , , , ,

18 comments:

eat stuff said...

Amy.. they were delicious. But it is so NOT FUNNY *sob* I hate that oven!

Joycelyn said...

hi clare, those look awesome...sweet, sticky and yum!cheers,j

Michèle said...

Hi Clare,
I laughed too at the "oven of infinite sadness". But look how you overcome it-- a little burnt crunchy corner never hurt anyone! And why do I get the feeling that you like beer. A girl after my own heart :)

eat stuff said...

Hi J
They were really good!

Hi Michele
grrr stoopid oven! *arrgh shaking my fist at you!* yes I can manage with a nicely crispy corner but the lack of height, no, the inability to make cakes and cookies, no. I will never forgive the oven!

hmmm me like beer? noooo... never! I LOVE IT! :) I am so glad ur a beer grl too

Nic said...

Yum! And everyone knows that the crunchy bits are often the best! Thanks for participating in SHF this month with this great entry, Clare.

eat stuff said...

Hi Nic

All for you grl ;)

Stephanie said...

Just lovely!

I confess I don't actually like honey, either. Honey mustard, ok. But I just don't care for the taste...

I know Matt would love these scrolls...

I have an inch and a half pinkish oval on the back of my arm, just below my left wrist, from an attack by my oven...grrr. And thanks to one of the dogs conspiring with the candy thermometer, I have blisters on my arm and hand from molten candy...it's like my kitchen is out to get me!

Unknown said...

hi clare - buns look great, empathise with the oven cos' mine makes funny sounds every once in awhile, which scares the hell out of me!

Anonymous said...

Clare, wow they look great!! I have to agree with everybody and say that I love a little bit of crunchy, maybe your oven is smarter than you think LOL!!!!

Stephanie said...

And when I say 'bitten', I really mean it!

boo_licious said...

They look delish - perfect for a weekend brekkie.

My oven drives me up the wall with it's crazy temperature swings. In fact I suspect mine suffers from PMS every month hence the quality of my baked goods is all dependent on her mood!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, they look scrumptious to me! I am a honey lover!! That's really cool of you to make such a nice treat when you don't even like honey. :)

Kelly said...

Yum! These look so tasty Clare! (And about the beer - are you referring to Beez Neez? I love that stuff too!)

eat stuff said...

Stephanie... you have no idea how much I know just what bitten means ;) lol! I really liked these rolls too, but without the extra honey drizzeled on them.

Hi Eatzycath
Ahhh scary sounds? even mine doesnt do that!

Hi Cara :)
Thanks so much for visiting! hmmm maybe bu burnt cake is definately not fun.

Hi Boo_licious. tempermental oven? yikes! at least I genreally understand the rules, occasionaly i "forget" and have to pay the price.. b ut not knowing what it will do? that is scary stuff man!

Hi gsf
I am so glad that farmgrl sent you on over! and yes we do get snow in Australia. In the snowy mountains which extends between NSW and Victoria and in Tasmanina of course. We get small dumps of snow in other places too! I look fwd to seeing you again :)

Hi Alice! I just had to make something for shf since I missed out last time... dont worry they will go to a good home in caseys belly ;)

Hi Briskjj
Yeah they look ok , I like the way the honey shows up on the photo. And I meant Beesneez and the James squire limite Edition honey porter YUM!

eat stuff said...

Hi Ag
Thanks... they werent overcooked as such it is just the extra browing that is the main problem, so they just arent so photogenic.

Ana said...

These look scrumptious Clare and I love Cinnamon Rolls

eat stuff said...

Hi Ana
They are yummy thanks!

Hi Lyn
Thanks they were pretty good :)

eat stuff said...

Hi Jenifer!
Not a problem, I love your MEME!

Post a Comment